Friday, September 26, 2008

May be my new career...

So I went to the What Women Want expo today... I walked around a little bit with Erin. At one point we passed a booth for a school called Career Step. It trains people in medical transcription.
I'm really interested in it, and I'm excited to do it.
I still need to do some research, and make it sure it's not one of those "too good to be true" careers. If I can get into it, it would make things a lot easier on Pat and I. We're not planning on having children for a couple years, but you never know what cards life is going to deal out.. If we get pregnant sometime soon, than if I'm already going through the training, I'll be able to be getting into the career right as our kid is born, which would be really helpful. If our plans work out, and we don't have kids for a while, than it will be nice to have some extra money saved up for when it does happen. at this point, if we got pregnant any time soon, Pat would have to get a second job. if I'm doing the medical transcription, than that wouldn't need to happen, and he could spend more time at home.

It would be so nice to have a career that I could do at home. I spend so much time on the computer anyways, that I would fit right into it :D
and, to make things even better, the school only costs a little over $1,000 dollars... it's still a little out of our price range, but they have finacial aid, so we could do it way easy.

I still have a lot more research to do on the sucject, so it'll be a little while before we make any huge plans, but I'm really excited about it :D:D

2 comments:

Krista Eger said...

Thats awesome I hope it works out for you! There was this one doctor in St. George that would always call and ramble on about his patients on the phone and I was always confused who he was talking to so I asked and found out he was just doing his medical transcription. He talked to this voice recognition computer and he said the medical transcription...ist? would go over it and fix the errors and make sense of it.
Anyway you'll get really smart doing this! :D Good luck!

viennabaxters said...

Liz, I have two friends who do this from home and they are both really satisfied with the work. One of them has gotten so successful that she's had to hire a lady to help her! I think anything you can do from home is a plus. You can make your own schedule, work in your p.j.s, and as you said, you can still work and be a stay at home mom. By now you've probably figured out that there isn't really enough time to work anyway so having it at home makes it much easier to manage. Anyway, anything you are excited about, you will be great at and will enjoy - afterall, that is the key to enjoyment isn't it??